Friday, December 17, 2021

Topic 8 - Task 11 - Values

Core values in the workplace exist to educate employees and clients on what a company and individual is all about. They shape the culture of an organization. Without these defining traits, a company risks aimlessly blending into a sea of other firms, and employees have no sense of direction.

In this blog, I'll be demonstrating a few values and how I identify with each one of them.

1) Deliver Promises

It’s easy to make promises. You just have to say that you will do something. It’s just talk. We make promises to our coworkers, family, kids, and friends. We make promises to everyone. But it’s a lot harder to keep them. Keeping promises means actually doing what you said you would do. One solution to keeping promises could be to not make promises at all, but that means you are no longer reliable and trustworthy to others. Therefore make sure you're certain that you can keep your word and be trustworthy before making a promise. 

In my experience, I try my best to be as helpful as possible with my colleagues. By making promises, I do my part by helping where needed. I make sure I don't over-promise and deliver well on the promises I make. 

2) Clear Communication

Clear communication is a complex, nuanced and teachable practice essential for successful officers and leaders of character. Effective use of oral, visual, written, and aural modes of communication signifies the professional competence and knowledge expected in a leader while engendering the trust of those being led.

I identify with this value at all times. I believe clear communication is important in order to avoid any misunderstanding; and it's also extremely efficient when new ideas are being shared between team members. 

3) Innovative

Something innovative is new and original. If you love to experiment and find new ways to do things, you are an innovative person.

Being an Engineering Graduate, I identify with this value pretty well. Without innovation, it's hard to come up with pragmatic solutions within my field, which is why I practice to be innovative as an individual in order to achieve the deliverables of the company/team I'm part of. 

4) Embrace Change

Embracing change implies that you don't see change as adversity, but an opportunity to improve yourself or try new things. You need to be positive about your situation, capabilities, and ability to adapt to change. Many times, what we consider failures are actually setbacks.

In the current world, things are constantly changing around you. Be it at the workplace or all around you in general. I've gotten used to embracing change; as I don't let the situation dictate my actions. I try to adapt to the changes and work accordingly. 

5) Respect

Mutual respect in the workplace lets all employees know that they are valued for their achievements, abilities, and qualities. Being valued and treated respectfully helps to promote a positive work culture in which employees are fulfilled, loyal, engaged, and motivated to perform at their very best.

Since I was a child, I've been taught the importance of being respectful to everyone around you, no matter what their cultural or socioeconomic background may be. I try to practice this aspect of being respectful everyday and at every facet of my life. In the workplace, I hope to carry forward this perspective of respect over and build harmonious relations with my colleagues through mutual respect and understanding. 

6) Collaborate

Collaboration in the workplace is a sign of an effective team as it harnesses the best out of two or more individuals together. Efficiency is an essential part of a team and an important aspect of the workplace. Workplace collaboration will keep everyone safe from extra load of work as the work gets distributed evenly.

By harnessing my team-work skills, I try my best to adhere to this value in most team-project scenarios. By delegating tasks within a team, the deliverables of the project can be achieved much more quickly. Collaboration could also lead to stronger relations within the team, which I do my best to create in order to understand and better know the personalities of my colleagues who I work with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment